We are hoping to put our house on the market by this weekend...I will have more on that in a later post. ;) I am in the process of de-personalizing our home in order to appeal to more buyers by allowing them to picture themselves living in my home. This means, I am taking down all personal photographs which is much harder than I thought (emotionally, not literally!) I love photographs (if you can't tell) and I have them displayed throughout our home. But, in an attempt to make our house a place that perspective buyers can feel at home in, I am removing them for showings. Most of them I just put away, but there are a few that I will leave out and put away when we have showings. I mean, I can't be expected to pack away every photo of my precious baby for who knows how long, right? :) Anyway, as I was putting them away, I realized that I would need to replace some of them with something to avoid it looking a little too sparse. I kept trying to think of things to put on my shelves to take up space without having to buy new stuff and without it looking mis-matched and ridiculous if I just tried to use items I already had. Then, it came to me...subway art! I had been seeing a lot of it around bloggy land lately, but didn't really think it was for me (probably because I didn't want anything taking up space that could be used for displaying my precious photos!) But, I thought it would be perfect for some inexpensive, neutral art and I could use the frames that I already had on display! So, I found a free subway art printable here and printed it out, cut the excess paper off and stuck it to a piece of brown craft paper then placed it in an 8x10 frame. If I had some nice, tan resume paper it would have looked a little nicer but I just used what I had.
Then, I decided I wanted one more for my favorite Pottery Barn frame with a burlap matte. I didn't want to do another subway print, so I decided to create something myself on the computer and print it out. I just went with a simple "dwell" that I typed up in wordpad and printed it out on a piece of resume paper I found in my craft bin. It's not really the color I would have chosen for the paper but again, I just used what I had. I love how it turned out.
The best part is, the cost of this project was basically free since I just used supplies that I already had.
So, now we have some 'neutral' art displayed so that when we show our home, people won't feel like it is 'someone else's house.'
All photos taken by Kristen (blog author) unless otherwise stated. Do not copy/save or print without permission. Thank you!