Sunday, September 4, 2011

2 Ingredient Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting

With the fall season in full-swing after the Labor Day weekend, I was in the mood for a fall recipe when my mom was here visiting.  These pumpkin cupcakes hit the spot and were such a yummy treat! 
This recipe is a variation of a cake I saw on Pinterest (I did not come up with this cake recipe.)  For the (2 ingredient) cupcakes you will need only a cake mix and a can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling.)


For those who may be confused by this, you read it right and you only need a can of pumpkin and a cake mix.  Mix together with an electric mixer or hand-mix (which is what I did) until well blended.

The batter will be very thick.  Scoop out into cupcake papers and try to leave the top as smooth as possible because the batter keeps its shape and doesn't level out so the tops of the cupcakes will not be smooth if your batter is not smooth in the cups before baking (as mine were not ;)  Bake for about 20 minutes at 350.

For the frosting, my mom made buttercream frosting (2 sticks of butter and approx. 3 cups powdered sugar) and added half a package of cream cheese and Pumpkin Spice seasoning.  We didn't measure how much seasoning we used so just add to taste. 

I hoped to add drizzled caramel on top of these but we didn't get any so I added some festive candy corn.  These would be perfect for a fall party!


The candy corn turned out to be cute atop these little cupcakes...

I ate three of these babies today.  I cannot resist a tasty cupcake!




All photos taken by Kristen (blog author) unless otherwise stated. Do not copy/save or print without permission. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try to make this as a cake instead of cupcakes. I also want to substitute the canned pumpkin with canned sweet potatoes and substitute the yellow cake with a spice cake. I'm nervous but I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

I looooooove getting feedback and hearing from my readers! :)