Thursday, December 13, 2012

Yarn Ball Christmas Wreath

Wow, it's been a while since I posted.  I've been slacking lately!  I have seriously been the worst blogger this year :-/

Well, I have a Christmasy post today :)  I made a wreath for the front door again this year and have had a few people ask how I made it so I wanted to share it with you! 

I've seen my picture frame wreath from a couple years ago a lot on pinterest and it makes me happy to see that people liked it so much!! :)  This year I did something a little more whimsy.  It all started when I was black friday shopping with my sisters in law and saw a yarn ball wreath at Target.  It was adorable and $20.  I didn't want to spend $20 so I decided to make one.  I got my yarn at Joanns and used coupons.  Would you believe I got all this yarn for $7???
 I got the wreath form (18 inch but you can do any size) at the dollar tree (love that store.) So I had just over $8 in the supplies (less than half of the Target wreath!)

I considered getting styrofoam balls (they even had them in packs of 4 or 5 at the dollar tree) but I would have needed TONS and this would have made my cost in supplies way too much.  So, I decided to crumple up old magazine pages and wrap those with yarn to start my balls :)

I took these pictures when it was dark, excuse the terrible coloring...  Anyway, I added pages to make some bigger forms, tried to make a few different sizes. 
To start covering in yarn I just added a dab of hot glue to the paper and attached the yarn, started wrapping.  I tried to turn the ball continuously to get a more random/messy look so that the yarn wasn't all going in the same direction.  I just wrapped and wrapped.  Didn't add glue as I went along, just glued the end when I was finished with the ball.  They hold together fine. 
 

This was a bit time consuming!  I made LOTS of yarn balls....  LOTS.


I chose to do four colors and tried to keep the same number of balls in each color.  Then, I just started attaching.



I would suggest maybe deciding how you want to place the balls before you start gluing.  I didn't do this and kept having to even it up.  That was frustrating. 
I made tiny balls to fill in the gaps, add filler in spots that needed it. 
Just keep adding till it looks the way you want it.  I didn't take a lot of pictures of this process but didn't think it was necessary. 
Once it was done I added some plastic glittery snowflake ornaments (also from the dollar tree) and I think it really finished it off.


I love how it looks on my red front door :)



Merry Christmas and here's to hoping that I get better with this blogging thing :p
All photos taken by Kristen (blog author) unless otherwise stated. Do not copy/save or print without permission. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering what happened to you! Glad to see you are back and I hope you are enjoying the holidays! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I looooooove getting feedback and hearing from my readers! :)