Friday, July 22, 2011

Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes

I had a lemon cake mix from my mom and decided to make some lemon raspberry cupcakes...


I spent much of the afternoon creating these little treats from an idea that popped into my head... ;)


What you will need:


*Lemon Cake Mix and ingredients listed on back of the box

*(2) 6oz. containers of raspberries (one for the cake and one for garnish.)

Make the cake according to box instructions and while blending it with an electric mixer, add 6 oz of fresh raspberries.
Bake per instructions on back of the box.

Homemade Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

*(2) sticks of real butter.  It's important that you use real butter for best results.

*Powdered sugar (3 cups or so)

*One package of cream cheese

*Zest of one lemon

Soften butter by letting it sit at room temp while you make the cake.  Take butter and add a cup or two at a time of powdered sugar while mixing with electric mixer until prefered consistency (slightly firm.)  I just kept adding sugar so I didn't measure exactly but you will know when you have it like you want it.  Then, add cream cheese.  I added the whole package but if you want a lighter cream cheese flavor, add half.  Keep blending and add lemon zest.  Blend until flavors are mixed well and you're ready to frost!  Garnish cupcakes with raspberries.


I like to use my Wilton dessert decorator to frost my cupcakes and the homemade frosting works best for this because it is stiffer and holds its shape more (or it should...I only had a stick and a half of butter today and mine was a little too sugary I think so it wasn't holding it's shape like I wanted....oh well.) 

P.S.  I just came up with this as a fun variation on the lemon cake but if I had to do it over again, I would maybe add some raspberry extract to my cake just to give it a little more of that berry flavor!  I might even add a tad more fruit ;)  I was pretty pleased with how the lemon zest flavored the frosting so I will do that again!
Also, one reason why I chose to add fresh fruit instead of just the extract was to give the cake a nice, moist texture.  There is nothing worse than a dry cupcake (well...maybe that's an exaggeration but you get my point.)  One trick I like to use when making cupcakes is I add one cup of prepared pudding to the batter before baking.  It makes a heavier cupcake but they are SO moist and delicious! I didn't add pudding this time because I was adding the fruit, but it is a great way to get super moist cupcakes! (I just buy a box of pudding mix and prepare it before the cake mix, let it chill in the fridge while I make the cake batter, then I add it before baking!)

Happy Baking!



p.s. I'm linking up!









All photos taken by Kristen (blog author) unless otherwise stated. Do not copy/save or print without permission. Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing and the photos are beautiful. I can't even remember the last time I made cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! :) I am such a cupcake lover. Normally I can't stop eating them but today I am feeling a little under the weather (on top of my morning sickness) so I have been able to resist them pretty well....I'm sure my hubby will gladly gobble them all up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look AMAZING! I totally share your love of cupcakes and when you feel better and want sweets we'll have to have a cupcake date sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so beautiful~ I want one! Thanks for sharing the pudding trick I am going to try this! I am a new follower! I would love it if you would check mine out and if you like what you see, become my newest follower! AND.... your blog is super cute! I LOVE them name of it!

    Kirsten @ www.mushkiloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cupcakes and your photography are gorgeous. I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-14.html

    ReplyDelete

I looooooove getting feedback and hearing from my readers! :)