Monday, July 11, 2011

Nursery Inspiration (yep....already!)

First off, I just want to apologize for being MIA for a while :-/  I have been majorly slacking on my blogging lately.  The truth is, this pregnancy is kicking my butt!  I have been completely exhausted (much more so than I remember being with Hayden) and I have been having a lot of nausea.  Basically, I haven't felt like doing much of anything lately including blogging, taking pics, cooking, etc.  And last week I was in Indiana visiting my family.  Thankfully, I have started to feel some better as far as the nausea goes (though I still struggle with it plenty) but I am still pretty tired most of the time.  I hope to be back to my old self and posting new, fun things very soon!  Today, I thought I would share with you all some of my nursery inspiration for the new baby...

So, since I am the most impatient person on the planet, I have already been planning in my head some nursery ideas.  Well, kinda...mostly all the ideas are for a girls room...I am fresh out of ideas for a boy nursery.  It was all I could do to come up with something boyish and yet non-cheesy for Hayden's room.

For his big boy room we are going with a nautical style, so that idea is out for a boy nursery. 
*sigh*  If this baby is a boy, I will need to do some serious inspiration-seeking online because I. got. nothin.
BUT...if it's a girl, I have a few ideas up my sleeve for a beautiful room fit for a little princess :)

First, I am absolutely in love with this iron crib.  It's definitely pricey but I am planning to sell Hayden's crib and dresser/hutch combo if we are having a girl so that money will be a big chunk of the cost.  (I will sell a kidney to come up with the rest if I have to....)  *wink*  Or, I may just be completely dreaming here but a girl can dream, right?

(source: Pottery Barn Kids.)

I guess I should say that while I am all about being thrifty with decorating our home, I tend to get carried away when it comes to nurseries.  I can't help myself.  Of course, when we did Hayden's room I was still working and had much more spending money for that kind of thing.  I will have to be a little more creative in how I fund the decor for the new baby room :)
Anyway, back on the subject...   Another thing that I would love to do is this paneled wall that Decor Chick did in her boy's room.

(source: Decor Chick.com)

  I think it would be perfect for the wall that the crib is on and maybe painted a pale pink so that the white crib will stand out some.  I think it would add a lot of character to the room!

Also, I would like to hang a small chandelier, like this one.

(source: moreluxuries.com)

Or this...

(source: Pottery Barn Kids)


I would actually love to find an antique that I can re-furb but the ones that I have seen so far cost just as much (if not more) than a new one and I would have to work hard at getting it cleaned up and painted. 

As far as furniture, my plans are to get an old dresser and paint it white.  I will probably add glass knobs.  Something I saw while antiquing with my mom gave me an idea...

LOVE!

Of course, I would do a different color (probably white) but I like the idea of an amoire.  If I could find a good deal on an old one, I could paint it, add new hardware and some fabric or lace to the doors.  I'm not sure if I'm 100% sold on the chicken wire yet...(I don't know if you can tell by the photo but it has chicken wire over the fabric on the doors.)  It's an interesting touch, just not sure if its cute for a nursery.  Anyway, I like the amoire idea.  I decided that I probably won't do a changing table in this nursery since I didn't use Hayden's much.  I just think they are a bit of a waste of space/money.  Of course if I do a regular dresser, I could use the top of it as a changing table if I wanted to. 

As far as bedding, I haven't looked into any of that yet.  I love the ruffle skirt from PBK in the crib photo but I don't know what I will do for bedding yet.  I will stick with something simple.  I love the idea of doing toile, I had thought of that when I was pregnant with Hayden so I may do that.  Also, I think I may skip the quilt this time.  Of course you're not supposed to use a blanket or anything with an infant so basically they are for looks which is exactly what Hayden's was used for.  It hung over the side of his crib as decoration for almost 2 years until we converted his bed to a toddler bed.  I used it as a blanket on his toddler bed but we are getting ready to get him a big boy bed and he has new bedding for that.  I paid almost $100 just for his quilt and it was barely used.  I don't think I will get one for this next one. 
Well, enough daydreaming for today :)  Can you tell I'm excited that I have another room to decorate?  (Not that I need another room to decorate since I have Hayden's room to re-do and I have big plans to re-decorate the living room (including a DIY project that I have been wanting to do for. EVER.)  But nevertheless, I'm excited to get started!

All photos taken by Kristen (blog author) unless otherwise stated. Do not copy/save or print without permission. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I looooooove getting feedback and hearing from my readers! :)