Friday, June 17, 2011

Plate Hanging (How-To)

First, I would like to say a big "thank you!" for a the comments, "pins" and features on our new banquette seating!  We are excited that you all like it, it helps make all the hard work worth it :)  I tried to reply to the comments, but for some reason, blogger keeps signing me out and taking me to the sign-in screen every time!  Very frustrating! :-/  Anyway, since I couldn't comment, I wanted to share that really quick :)
I wanted to give a quick tutorial on hanging plates on the wall.  There are a few ways of doing it.  Last time I hung plates in our dining room, I used these brackets...


Not only are these a giant pain to get on the plate, I don't think they look very good.  I don't like the fact that you can see the prongs.

I wanted to figure out a way that I could hang them without anything showing.  I wanted to hang them just like a picture frame.  I decided I could use picture wire but I needed a strong adhesive to attach it to the ceramic plate.  It briefly crossed my mind to use hot glue, but I knew I needed something strong (I didn't want these plates crashing to the ground!)  So, I decided to use Epoxy adhesive.  (I later learned about the disk adhesive plate hangers, but they are a couple bucks each and since I was hanging several plates, the Epoxy was much more cost effective.)
I knew the Epoxy would be a good, strong adhesive that would stick well to the ceramic.  I couldn't find my picture wire so I decided to use some craft cord (you could use ribbon, picture wire would probably work well.)  The cords were actually a bit of a pain since they sort of had a mind of their own...
Anyway, I mixed up the Epoxy adhesive per instructions on the packaging.  I wore a mask since I am pregnant and this stuff puts off some fumes.  You would want the area you are working in to be well ventilated.  Also, I recommend using gloves because you don't want to get this stuff on your skin. 
I dabbed the Epoxy on the back of the plate and attached the cord like this:

It's hard to see where the adhesive is since it is clear but you need a dab on each end and then I made sure the cord was covered on the top just to make sure it wouldn't pull out.  You will want to place the cord/ribbon/wire right on that 'edge' so the plate will hang flat against the wall.
Let the adhesive set per instructions, I think mine said it was cured after an hour.

For hanging the plates, I would highly recommend using a template!  It makes hanging the plates so fast and easy.  It took me no more than 5 minutes start to finish to hang the plates using my template and I did not have to pull out any nails or re-position any plates!
Your template does not need to be perfect, just make sure the dimensions are correct.

Place your papers where you think you want the plates and step back to look.  Move them as needed till you have the perfect placement.
Then, just place a nail where each paper is hung, then remove the paper and hang your plate!


Yay, no ugly prongs sticking out! 


By the way, all my plates came from thrift stores and the dollar store and I paid no more than $1 each.  The Epoxy was just under $4 so for just over $10, I have awesome decor for our newly decorated space! 

All photos taken by Kristen (blog author) unless otherwise stated. Do not copy/save or print without permission. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I think I bought some of those exact same plates at the dollar store to hang on my wall! Too funny:) I haven't hung them up yet, because I haven't bought any plate hangers. Thanks for the tip:) By the way, the new kitchen looks great! Wish my hubby was as motivated as yours:) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I have mine hung with those plate hangers and don't like the prongs either. Plus they don't always hang right. What a genius idea to use the paper template! I should have done that to avoid about a million holes in the wall. ;)
    I'm your newest follower!

    Katie
    http://cayennepaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and was looking around...this is a great idea and I looove your seating area! :)

    ReplyDelete

I looooooove getting feedback and hearing from my readers! :)